Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week 19

Hello everyone!! It was another great week, and I have to tell you that I really needed this today---just being around all these great kids who are all so eager to learn, and all their Mom's--I was truly blessed today!!

To recap our day:

History: We acted out and sang our song. I love that our history ties in so nicely to our Geography this week too with N. and S. Korea.

Latin: We reviewed the song and said each conjunction a few times.

English: our song this week was to the tune of the Brady Bunch
A g g gerund
is a present participle
verb form used as a noun.
Even though most of the kids do not know who the Brady's are and have never heard that song, it does seem to stick.

Math: We had races today to see who could put the numbers in the right order first of how many feet there are in a mile and when they had it they had to yell out "1 mile". We did this at home this week too and my girls loved it, even if it was just them solo and I would time them.

Geography: no clever way to remember, but at least 2 of the places are repeats of history :) for Taiwan we talked about needing an anchor (to "tie one" to the island). Plus that is like the dot in a lower case i with the Philippines being the lower part of the i. Then what looks like a tiny bit of ink mistakenly in the middle of the ocean----that is not a mistake but in fact Guam. Mrs. Jonica showed us too how close Guam is to Hawaii which was pretty cool!

Science: we had a lot of fun with this sentence all week----we sang it (there isn't a tune that it goes to---but read it and a song will emerge). We used sign language for "make" which is the same same for "creation" in our timeline going all the way back to week 1. This represented "energy cannot be created" and then throw your hands down for "or destroyed". What is the first law of thermo dynamics?

Our lab attempted to bring that to life, which is difficult as it is such an abstract concept. The kids really enjoyed making the paper airplanes :) We did see how ice would melt in our hand, and even though it changed forms from solid to liquid, it still had the same energy, just different. The only One Who can create or destroy energy is the Creator----God!

Fine Arts--Mrs. Diana did an awesome job teaching us about orchestra today!

Time Line---we went through the signs for each one.

As for anything extra---we did enjoy the experiment of putting ice on a kitchen scale (if you have one) and allowing it to melt. I had the girls hypothesize what the weight would be after the ice melted. One said it would be heavier and one said lighter (neither said stay the same :) Of course, it does stay the same as the energy is not created or destroyed just altered to a different state.

Also, I have found myself recording a lot of programs from the History channel. I don't like a lot of what is on there, but I am finding that the history (not necessarily the Biblical based shows) are really good. We watched one on the assassination attempt of Hitler. We watched about the assassination of Lincoln. One on Sherman's March during the Civil War. I have one I just recorded on Reagan as I know a history sentence is coming up about him. Things like that we are enjoying. They are usually 2 hours long, which is a big much for some kids----but I allowed my youngest to do something else while in the room and I would pause it and discuss things I thought were key and she was a part of those discussions and she did get something out of it. My oldest (10) has enjoyed them for the most part.

I hope that helps!!
Have fun with it all this week!! See you next week! If you need anything in the mean time please give me a call!
Blessings,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment